Re: trouble passing JVM startup options using JTREG

Re: trouble passing JVM startup options using JTREG

Ram Krishnan
Many thanks Jonathan for the immediate reply.

I am copying the hotspot gc team.

Hotspot gc team -- your help would be much appreciated on the topic below.

Thanks,
Ramki

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 2:29 PM, Jonathan Gibbons <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 04/17/2017 02:18 PM, Ram Krishnan wrote:
Hi,

I have been able to successfully run all the tests in hotspot/test/gc/g1 using jtreg.

The only gotcha I am facing is that the JVM startup options specified in process builder does not have any effect. I have confirmed this through prints in the JVM code base.

For example,
​/hotspot/test/gc/g1/​ TestEagerReclaimHumongousRegionsClearMarkBits.java modifies the "-XX:ConcGCThreads=1", but inside the JVM code to value of ConcGCThreads is still zero.

​I am new to jtreg and openjdk and probably missing something obvious. Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,​
​Ramki​

Ramki,

This does not look like an issue with jtreg, since the behavior you are apparently seeing is all within the test code and its libraries.

You might want to follow up with the Hotspot team, who would have more familiarity with these tests and the associated libraries.

-- Jon

Ramki

Re: trouble passing JVM startup options using JTREG

Jenny Zhang
Ramki,

Can you do the following to be sure that hotspot did not take the parameter?
java -XX:ConcGCThreads=1 -XX:+PrintFlagsFinal

I am using jdk9b154, the output shows it changed the ConcGCThreads to 1

Thanks
Jenny

Ramki

Re: trouble passing JVM startup options using JTREG

Ram Krishnan
Hi Jenny,

I tried what you suggested. Hotspot output indeed shows ​ConcGCThreads as 1.

The problem seems to be interaction with jtreg.

Thanks,
Ramki

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 4:49 PM, Jenny Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ramki,

Can you do the following to be sure that hotspot did not take the parameter?
java -XX:
​​

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 2:29 PM, Jonathan Gibbons <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ramki

Re: trouble passing JVM startup options using JTREG

Jonathan Gibbons
Ramki,

jtreg is not involved at that point in time. It has launched the test, and the test code is running.

When you say  "I have confirmed this through prints in the JVM code base.", are you sure you are checking the right JVM?  There are at least 3 JVMs running at the same time in your setup: you have a JVM running jtreg; you have a JVM running the test, and the test is launching a JVM of its own through the ProcessTools library.

-- Jon

On 04/17/2017 05:09 PM, Ram Krishnan wrote:
[...]

Ramki

Re: trouble passing JVM startup options using JTREG

Dmitry Fazunenko
Hi Ramki,

It's very unlikely to be an issue related to jtreg somehow.
I ran the test you mentioned manually, this is the quote from .jtr file:
Command line: [/jdk9/solaris-sparcv9/bin/java -d64 -cp /home/fa/hs-int/hotspot/test/gc/g1/JTwork/classes/gc/g1:/home/fa/hs-int/hotspot/test/gc/g1:/home/fa/hs-int/hotspot/test/gc/g1/JTwork/classes/test/lib:/home/fa/hs-int/test/lib:/home/fa/jtreg/lib/javatest.jar:/home/fa/jtreg/lib/jtreg.jar -XX:+UseG1GC -Xms128M -Xmx128M -Xmn2M -XX:G1HeapRegionSize=1M -XX:InitiatingHeapOccupancyPercent=0 -Xlog:gc -XX:+UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions -XX:+VerifyAfterGC -XX:ConcGCThreads=1 -XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions -XX:+G1VerifyBitmaps ReclaimRegionFast ]
All the VM options are passed as expected.

> I have confirmed this through prints in the JVM code base.
I'm not sure what do you mean here, but I guess you did something wrong.

Please note, during execution of this test two JVM are launched:
- the first one started by jtreg (TestEagerReclaimHumongousRegionsClearMarkBits class)
- the second started by test (
ReclaimRegionFast class)

In the first one ConcGCThread should be set to 0.

Thanks,
Dima

Ramki

Re: trouble passing JVM startup options using JTREG

Ram Krishnan
Hi Dmitry,

Thanks, more below.

In the expanded command line option, ​ConcGCThread is indeed set to 1 as expected in the ​ReclaimRegionFastclass JVM. In the direct jtreg option, ​ConcGCThread is 0 in both JVMs. The usage details are below. My build is based on JDK 9 and I downloaded the latest jtreg. There may be something wrong in my jtreg usage -- can you please clarify?

Using jtreg directly does not work
----------------------------------
/home/ramki/9dev/build/linux-x86_64-normal-server-release/images/jdk/bin/java -jar /home/ramki/jtreg/lib/jtreg.jar -verbose:all /home/ramki/9dev/hotspot/test/gc/g1/TestEagerReclaimHumongousRegionsClearMarkBits.java

Command line option works
-------------------------
/home/ramki/9dev/build/linux-x86_64-normal-server-release/images/jdk/bin/java -cp /home/ramki/9dev/hotspot/test/JTwork/classes/gc/g1:/home/ramki/9dev/hotspot/test/gc/g1:/home/ramki/9dev/hotspot/test/JTwork/classes/test/lib:/home/ramki/9dev/test/lib:/home/ramki/jtreg/lib/javatest.jar:/home/ramki/jtreg/lib/jtreg.jar -XX:+UseG1GC -Xms128M -Xmx128M -Xmn2M -XX:G1HeapRegionSize=1M -XX:InitiatingHeapOccupancyPercent=0 -Xlog:gc -XX:+UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions -XX:+VerifyAfterGC -XX:ConcGCThreads=1 -XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions -XX:+G1VerifyBitmaps -XX:G1GcCpuLLCCachePartitionPercent=48 ReclaimRegionFast

Thanks,
Ramki

Ramki

Re: trouble passing JVM startup options using JTREG

Dmitry Fazunenko
Hi Ramki,

I think you need to specify "-jdk:<your_java_home>" option to jtreg:

/home/ramki/9dev/build/linux-x86_64-normal-server-release/images/jdk/bin/java -jar /home/ramki/jtreg/lib/jtreg.jar -verbose:all  -jdk:/home/ramki/9dev/build/linux-x86_64-normal-server-release/images/jdk  /home/ramki/9dev/hotspot/test/gc/g1/TestEagerReclaimHumongousRegionsClear=MarkBits.java

More information about test execution you can find in the .jtr file created in JTWork/gc/g1/ folder.

Thanks,
Dima

Ramki

Re: trouble passing JVM startup options using JTREG

Ram Krishnan
Hi Dima,

Thanks.

I tried your suggestion and also examined the .jtr file in ​JTWork/gc/g1/ folder. I am getting the same results as before.

Thanks,
Ramki

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 8:12 AM, Dmitry Fazunenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

The only gotcha I am facing is that the JVM startup options specified in process builder does not have any effect. I have confirmed this through prints in the JVM code base.

For example,
​/hotspot/test/gc/g1/​ TestEagerReclaimHumongousRegionsClearMarkBits.java modifies the "-XX:ConcGCThreads=1", but inside the JVM code to value of ConcGCThreads is still zero.

​I am new to jtreg and openjdk and probably missing something obvious. Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,​
​Ramki​

Ramki,

This does not look like an issue with jtreg, since the behavior you are apparently seeing is all within the test code and its libraries.

You might want to follow up with the Hotspot team, who would have more familiarity with these tests and the associated libraries.

Ramki

Re: trouble passing JVM startup options using JTREG

Igor Ignatyev
Ramki,

if you want jtreg to pass a flag to JDK under test,you should specify by jtreg -javaoptions flag[1]:

/home/ramki/9dev/build/linux-x86_64-normal-server-release/images/jdk/bin/java -jar /home/ramki/jtreg/lib/jtreg.jar -verbose:all -javaoptions:-XX:ConcGCThreads=1 -jdk:/home/ramki/9dev/build/linux-x86_64-normal-server-release/images/jdk  /home/ramki/9dev/hotspot/test/gc/g1/TestEagerReclaimHumongousRegionsClearMarkBits.java

Thanks,
-- Igor

Ramki

Re: trouble passing JVM startup options using JTREG

Ram Krishnan
Hi Igor,

It is indeed working now. Many thanks!

Thanks,