Quantcast

Required Solaris Studio version for jdk9 ?

Required Solaris Studio version for jdk9 ?

Volker Simonis
Hi,

the current common/doc/building.md [1] file mentions Studio 12 Update
4 with several patches as the minimal build requirement for jdk9 on
Solaris. Is this information still up to date and do you plan to use
the mentioned versions for the Java 9 GA build?

Does somebody know how I can find out the exact patch levels of the
installed Studio compiler/backend versions if I'm using a version of
Studio which isn't installed locally but on a network share? I tried
"-V -verbose=version" but it only shows:

$ CC -V -verbose=version
CC: Sun C++ 5.13 SunOS_sparc 2014/10/20

I've also tried the 'version' tool with the same result:

$ version cc
cc: Sun C 5.13 SunOS_sparc 2014/10/20

The version tool recommends using pkginfo/pkg to get the exact version
of the installed studio components, but this obviously doesn't work
for a network installation.

Thank you and best regards,
Volker

[1] http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/dev/file/04d60d5ae6fd/common/doc/building.md

Re: Required Solaris Studio version for jdk9 ?

Erik Joelsson
Hello Volker,

On 2017-03-30 10:33, Volker Simonis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the current common/doc/building.md [1] file mentions Studio 12 Update
> 4 with several patches as the minimal build requirement for jdk9 on
> Solaris. Is this information still up to date and do you plan to use
> the mentioned versions for the Java 9 GA build?
We have no plans for changing any compiler versions before 9 GA.

> Does somebody know how I can find out the exact patch levels of the
> installed Studio compiler/backend versions if I'm using a version of
> Studio which isn't installed locally but on a network share? I tried
> "-V -verbose=version" but it only shows:
>
> $ CC -V -verbose=version
> CC: Sun C++ 5.13 SunOS_sparc 2014/10/20
>
> I've also tried the 'version' tool with the same result:
>
> $ version cc
> cc: Sun C 5.13 SunOS_sparc 2014/10/20
>
> The version tool recommends using pkginfo/pkg to get the exact version
> of the installed studio components, but this obviously doesn't work
> for a network installation.
I don't think there is a way unfortunately. The package versions listed
in the documentation is the version for each package that was the latest
available when I happened to install them, when I created our compiler
package. It does seem like the date printed is significant however. In
our compiler package, cc and CC report this:

$ cc -V
cc: Sun C 5.13 SunOS_i386 2014/10/20
$ CC -V
CC: Sun C++ 5.13 SunOS_i386 151846-10 2015/10/30

So it would seem our C++ compiler is newer than yours. I do remember
there were bugs in the earlier versions of 12.4 C++ which we required
fixes for before we could switch, so I think you should probably try to
upgrade.

/Erik
> Thank you and best regards,
> Volker
>
> [1] http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/dev/file/04d60d5ae6fd/common/doc/building.md

Re: Required Solaris Studio version for jdk9 ?

Magnus Ihse Bursie
On 2017-03-30 10:33, Volker Simonis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the current common/doc/building.md [1] file mentions Studio 12 Update
> 4 with several patches as the minimal build requirement for jdk9 on
> Solaris. Is this information still up to date and do you plan to use
> the mentioned versions for the Java 9 GA build?
Just FYI, no one has updated that file in a long time, so it's probably
not correct. I am in the process of updating it right now, but have not
yet started looking into the required compiler version section. If you
find out anything you'd like to share, I'd really appreciate it. :-)

/Magnus

> Does somebody know how I can find out the exact patch levels of the
> installed Studio compiler/backend versions if I'm using a version of
> Studio which isn't installed locally but on a network share? I tried
> "-V -verbose=version" but it only shows:
>
> $ CC -V -verbose=version
> CC: Sun C++ 5.13 SunOS_sparc 2014/10/20
>
> I've also tried the 'version' tool with the same result:
>
> $ version cc
> cc: Sun C 5.13 SunOS_sparc 2014/10/20
>
> The version tool recommends using pkginfo/pkg to get the exact version
> of the installed studio components, but this obviously doesn't work
> for a network installation.
>
> Thank you and best regards,
> Volker
>
> [1] http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/dev/file/04d60d5ae6fd/common/doc/building.md

Re: Required Solaris Studio version for jdk9 ?

Volker Simonis
On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Erik Joelsson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Volker,
>
> On 2017-03-30 10:33, Volker Simonis wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> the current common/doc/building.md [1] file mentions Studio 12 Update
>> 4 with several patches as the minimal build requirement for jdk9 on
>> Solaris. Is this information still up to date and do you plan to use
>> the mentioned versions for the Java 9 GA build?
>
> We have no plans for changing any compiler versions before 9 GA.
>>
>> Does somebody know how I can find out the exact patch levels of the
>> installed Studio compiler/backend versions if I'm using a version of
>> Studio which isn't installed locally but on a network share? I tried
>> "-V -verbose=version" but it only shows:
>>
>> $ CC -V -verbose=version
>> CC: Sun C++ 5.13 SunOS_sparc 2014/10/20
>>
>> I've also tried the 'version' tool with the same result:
>>
>> $ version cc
>> cc: Sun C 5.13 SunOS_sparc 2014/10/20
>>
>> The version tool recommends using pkginfo/pkg to get the exact version
>> of the installed studio components, but this obviously doesn't work
>> for a network installation.
>
> I don't think there is a way unfortunately. The package versions listed in
> the documentation is the version for each package that was the latest
> available when I happened to install them, when I created our compiler
> package. It does seem like the date printed is significant however. In our
> compiler package, cc and CC report this:
>
> $ cc -V
> cc: Sun C 5.13 SunOS_i386 2014/10/20
> $ CC -V
> CC: Sun C++ 5.13 SunOS_i386 151846-10 2015/10/30
>
> So it would seem our C++ compiler is newer than yours. I do remember there
> were bugs in the earlier versions of 12.4 C++ which we required fixes for
> before we could switch, so I think you should probably try to upgrade.

Hi Erik,

thanks a lot for your quick answer!
You've reported the version of the x86 version of the compiler though.
Can you confirm, that you use the same versions for Sparc (i.e. are
the two versions always released synchronously)?

Thanks,
Volker

> /Erik
>
>> Thank you and best regards,
>> Volker
>>
>> [1]
>> http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/dev/file/04d60d5ae6fd/common/doc/building.md

Re: Required Solaris Studio version for jdk9 ?

Volker Simonis
On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Magnus Ihse Bursie
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2017-03-30 10:33, Volker Simonis wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> the current common/doc/building.md [1] file mentions Studio 12 Update
> 4 with several patches as the minimal build requirement for jdk9 on
> Solaris. Is this information still up to date and do you plan to use
> the mentioned versions for the Java 9 GA build?
>
> Just FYI, no one has updated that file in a long time, so it's probably not
> correct. I am in the process of updating it right now, but have not yet
> started looking into the required compiler version section. If you find out
> anything you'd like to share, I'd really appreciate it. :-)

Sorry but I don't have much more to add than Erik :)
It may be useful though to list the date together with the version
because there seems to be a correlation between the exact version and
the date. And this may help people like us who use a network
installation of the compiler and can't easily find the exact version.

Regards,
Volker

> /Magnus
>
> Does somebody know how I can find out the exact patch levels of the
> installed Studio compiler/backend versions if I'm using a version of
> Studio which isn't installed locally but on a network share? I tried
> "-V -verbose=version" but it only shows:
>
> $ CC -V -verbose=version
> CC: Sun C++ 5.13 SunOS_sparc 2014/10/20
>
> I've also tried the 'version' tool with the same result:
>
> $ version cc
> cc: Sun C 5.13 SunOS_sparc 2014/10/20
>
> The version tool recommends using pkginfo/pkg to get the exact version
> of the installed studio components, but this obviously doesn't work
> for a network installation.
>
> Thank you and best regards,
> Volker
>
> [1]
> http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/dev/file/04d60d5ae6fd/common/doc/building.md

Re: Required Solaris Studio version for jdk9 ?

Erik Joelsson
Hello Volker,

I can't say for sure that they are always released in sync (but I do
think they are), at least the packages I used had the same versions. I
have also confirmed that the dates reported by our sparc compiler
package are the same as for x86.

/Erik