Quantcast

Review Request: JDK-8180717: Upgrade the docs bundle index page

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Review Request: JDK-8180717: Upgrade the docs bundle index page

Mandy Chung
This patch updates the build tool to generate an improved presentation of the module groupings.  A sample page:
   http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/jdk9/webrevs/8180717/docs/index.html

Webrev:
  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/jdk9/webrevs/8180717/webrev.00/       

Thanks
Mandy
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Review Request: JDK-8180717: Upgrade the docs bundle index page

Jonathan Gibbons
Look good to me.

-- Jon

On 05/19/2017 01:48 PM, Mandy Chung wrote:
> This patch updates the build tool to generate an improved presentation of the module groupings.  A sample page:
>     http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/jdk9/webrevs/8180717/docs/index.html
>
> Webrev:
>    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/jdk9/webrevs/8180717/webrev.00/       
>
> Thanks
> Mandy

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Review Request: JDK-8180717: Upgrade the docs bundle index page

Magnus Ihse Bursie
In reply to this post by Mandy Chung
On 2017-05-19 22:48, Mandy Chung wrote:
> This patch updates the build tool to generate an improved presentation of the module groupings.  A sample page:
>     http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/jdk9/webrevs/8180717/docs/index.html
>
> Webrev:
>    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/jdk9/webrevs/8180717/webrev.00/       
>
> Thanks
> Mandy

This does not really affect the build system, so if you want to push
this, go ahead. However, I do have some opinions:

1) You are re-adding a lot of css rules. This will make it harder to
align this page with an common overall look-and-feel using the shared
css file.

2) I don't want to sound harsh, but, but is this really an improvement?
I find this page almost as bad as the old "brick wall". :-( It's
incomprehensible until you read the small print legend at the bottom.

Also, one of the first things I learned in my human-computer interaction
classes was to *never* use color as the single discriminating feature. A
large minority of the population is color-blind and cannot tell the
difference between e.g. red and green, and it's especielly hard if it's
like those low saturation colors that you've picked.

/Magnus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Review Request: JDK-8180717: Upgrade the docs bundle index page

Mandy Chung

> On May 22, 2017, at 1:02 AM, Magnus Ihse Bursie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2017-05-19 22:48, Mandy Chung wrote:
>> This patch updates the build tool to generate an improved presentation of the module groupings.  A sample page:
>>    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/jdk9/webrevs/8180717/docs/index.html
>>
>> Webrev:
>>   http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/jdk9/webrevs/8180717/webrev.00/       
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mandy
>
> This does not really affect the build system, so if you want to push this, go ahead. However, I do have some opinions:
>
> 1) You are re-adding a lot of css rules. This will make it harder to align this page with an common overall look-and-feel using the shared css file.
>

We should share the common overall L&F when it makes sense.  With this new presentation this may be better to keep the local css rules unless they are applicable to other documents.  This page will likely be tweaked and improved or redesigned by UE experts in the future.

> 2) I don't want to sound harsh, but, but is this really an improvement? I find this page almost as bad as the old "brick wall". :-( It's incomprehensible until you read the small print legend at the bottom.
>
> Also, one of the first things I learned in my human-computer interaction classes was to *never* use color as the single discriminating feature. A large minority of the population is color-blind and cannot tell the difference between e.g. red and green, and it's especielly hard if it's like those low saturation colors that you've picked.

This page gives users an easy entrance to navigate to the appropriate documentation/modules.  The categorization into Java SE, JDK, etc is not the primary importance to most users of this page and so removing the separate columns would simplify the presentation.  Yes color-blind is one known concern.  This would need UE experts to help here.  Our primary goal is to replace the layer cake with a reasonable top-level page in JDK 9 and hand this to appropriate experts/designers to work on it.

Mandy
Loading...