Quantcast

Turn sun.misc.Unsafe into a public API

Noctarius
Hey there,

I'm not yet sure if this is the right place to ask but I go for it.

Is there already a group of people that is working on turning
sun.misc.Unsafe into a clean public API or are there any interested
people in trying to make a JEP / JSR out of it?

I was previously talking to Tim Boudreau but he wasn't sure about if
there's a group working on that but he knew that there is at least
interest in it.

Would be great to see some interest and maybe a founding a group or
joining an already existing one.

Cheers
Chris

Re: Turn sun.misc.Unsafe into a public API

mark.reinhold
2013/10/3 1:51 -0700, [hidden email]:
> Is there already a group of people that is working on turning
> sun.misc.Unsafe into a clean public API or are there any interested
> people in trying to make a JEP / JSR out of it?

This is definitely something we plan to propose for SE 9.  I expect
to see a JEP from the current maintainers of sun.misc.Unsafe in the
near future.  (This is far too small to require a whole JSR.)

- Mark

Am 03.10.2013 18:30, schrieb [hidden email]:

> 2013/10/3 1:51 -0700, [hidden email]:
>> Is there already a group of people that is working on turning
>> sun.misc.Unsafe into a clean public API or are there any interested
>> people in trying to make a JEP / JSR out of it?
>
> This is definitely something we plan to propose for SE 9.  I expect
> to see a JEP from the current maintainers of sun.misc.Unsafe in the
> near future.  (This is far too small to require a whole JSR.)
>
> - Mark

Good to know, thanks Mark. Looking forward to that and try to help
on that :-)

- Chris

Re: Turn sun.misc.Unsafe into a public API

Alex Kasko
On 10/03/2013 08:36 PM, Noctarius wrote:

> Am 03.10.2013 18:30, schrieb [hidden email]:
>> 2013/10/3 1:51 -0700, [hidden email]:
>>> Is there already a group of people that is working on turning
>>> sun.misc.Unsafe into a clean public API or are there any interested
>>> people in trying to make a JEP / JSR out of it?
>>
>> This is definitely something we plan to propose for SE 9.  I expect
>> to see a JEP from the current maintainers of sun.misc.Unsafe in the
>> near future.  (This is far too small to require a whole JSR.)
>>
>> - Mark
>>

> Good to know, thanks Mark. Looking forward to that and try to help
> on that :-)

I am also interested in such API.

sun.misc.Unsafe is used extensively by high performance libraries
(snappy [1], kryo [2] and gson [3] to name some). I use it in everyday
work (for off-heap memory access) with the naive approach to API -
duplicated the same API with 'assert' checks on all memory access
operations and run with '-ea' switch during testing.

Public API will allow much wider adoption, e.g. it would be great to
have something like fastutil [4] backed by off-heap memory.

> - Chris

[1] https://github.com/dain/snappy
[2] http://code.google.com/p/kryo/
[3] http://code.google.com/p/google-gson/