bash configure fails on missing javah

Nir Lisker
I'm trying to build OpenJDK 11 as instructed here:
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/jdk/raw-file/tip/doc/building.html.

When executing `bash configure
--with-import-modules=jfx_path\rt\build\modular-sdk`
(I've build JavaFX) the build fails:

checking for java in Boot JDK... ok
checking for javac in Boot JDK... ok
checking for javah in Boot JDK... not found
configure: Your Boot JDK seems broken. This might be fixed by explicitly
setting --with-boot-jdk
configure: error: Could not find javah in the Boot JDK
configure exiting with result code 1

The boot JDK is 10, which does not have javah anymore, so it is no
surprise. I could point boot JDK to a previous version, but I don't think I
should need to. What I should do?

Nir

Re: bash configure fails on missing javah

David Holmes
On 3/01/2018 12:33 AM, Nir Lisker wrote:

> I'm trying to build OpenJDK 11 as instructed here:
> http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/jdk/raw-file/tip/doc/building.html.
>
> When executing `bash configure
> --with-import-modules=jfx_path\rt\build\modular-sdk`
> (I've build JavaFX) the build fails:
>
> checking for java in Boot JDK... ok
> checking for javac in Boot JDK... ok
> checking for javah in Boot JDK... not found
> configure: Your Boot JDK seems broken. This might be fixed by explicitly
> setting --with-boot-jdk
> configure: error: Could not find javah in the Boot JDK
> configure exiting with result code 1
>
> The boot JDK is 10, which does not have javah anymore, so it is no
> surprise. I could point boot JDK to a previous version, but I don't think I
> should need to. What I should do?

We haven't bumped the version to 11 yet so you should still be building
"10" with a boot JDK of 9.

David

> Nir

Re: bash configure fails on missing javah

Martin Buchholz-3
I agree configure should not fail if javah is not found.  A high quality
configure test would first check if javac -h works, then fall back to javah
if that works, regardless of the boot jdk's version.

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 6:33 AM, Nir Lisker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to build OpenJDK 11 as instructed here:
> http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/jdk/raw-file/tip/doc/building.html.
>
> When executing `bash configure
> --with-import-modules=jfx_path\rt\build\modular-sdk`
> (I've build JavaFX) the build fails:
>
> checking for java in Boot JDK... ok
> checking for javac in Boot JDK... ok
> checking for javah in Boot JDK... not found
> configure: Your Boot JDK seems broken. This might be fixed by explicitly
> setting --with-boot-jdk
> configure: error: Could not find javah in the Boot JDK
> configure exiting with result code 1
>
> The boot JDK is 10, which does not have javah anymore, so it is no
> surprise. I could point boot JDK to a previous version, but I don't think I
> should need to. What I should do?
>
> Nir

Re: bash configure fails on missing javah

Alan Bateman
On 03/01/2018 04:05, Martin Buchholz wrote:
> I agree configure should not fail if javah is not found.  A high quality
> configure test would first check if javac -h works, then fall back to javah
> if that works, regardless of the boot jdk's version.

JDK-8193512 removes the check for javah from boot-jdk.m4 so I assume
part of the issue is that this change is in jdk/jdk10 and just hasn't
got to jdk/jdk yet.

In any case, I think David is right. We have to use JDK 9 as the boot
JDK for now.

-Alan

Re: bash configure fails on missing javah

Erik Joelsson
The build hasn't used javah in a long time, so the configure check for
it is just a left over that we forgot to clean up. It should certainly
be removed and we will be forced to do it once we switch to JDK 10 as
boot jdk for 11.

Note though that we will not switch to JDK 10 as boot for 11 until we
have an actual release of 10. Until then, the boot JDK for the
development of 11 will remain as 9. In the past, this interim situation
was pretty limited in time so we rarely had to deal with it. With the
new release schedule, we are going to be in this situation a lot more,
so the build documentation needs to be updated to explain this.

/Erik

On 2018-01-03 05:05, Martin Buchholz wrote:

> I agree configure should not fail if javah is not found.  A high quality
> configure test would first check if javac -h works, then fall back to javah
> if that works, regardless of the boot jdk's version.
>
> On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 6:33 AM, Nir Lisker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to build OpenJDK 11 as instructed here:
>> http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/jdk/raw-file/tip/doc/building.html.
>>
>> When executing `bash configure
>> --with-import-modules=jfx_path\rt\build\modular-sdk`
>> (I've build JavaFX) the build fails:
>>
>> checking for java in Boot JDK... ok
>> checking for javac in Boot JDK... ok
>> checking for javah in Boot JDK... not found
>> configure: Your Boot JDK seems broken. This might be fixed by explicitly
>> setting --with-boot-jdk
>> configure: error: Could not find javah in the Boot JDK
>> configure exiting with result code 1
>>
>> The boot JDK is 10, which does not have javah anymore, so it is no
>> surprise. I could point boot JDK to a previous version, but I don't think I
>> should need to. What I should do?
>>
>> Nir

Re: bash configure fails on missing javah

Nir Lisker
Thanks, I used 9 as boot. It is definitely worthwhile to update the build
doc in this regard.

- Nir