experiments with jdk9

matecs
hi,
i'm the author of freerouter.nop.hu, it's an open source router a java.
the source base is about 3mb nowadays.
the project started back at jdk6 days. it have a lot of functional
self-tests which bring up jvm routers and
pings between them with various protocols. i'm writing to you to inform
you that i've recently switched to jdk9.
i had to fix some deprecation warnings, but mostly it was smooth. back
in the jdk8 days, i had some issues with
the default gc on my big (64+gb) route reflector jvms, but switched to
g1gc, and it solved it. i've noticed that
it's now the default so i'll remove the option from startup scripts soon.
finally, i wish you all the best and keep up the great work guys!
csaba mate
niif/hungarnet/as1955

Re: experiments with jdk9

dalibor topic-2
Hi Csaba,

it's great to hear that freerouter works well on JDK 9. I hope that
improvements in JDK 9, like compact strings, present a performance
benefit for the big JVMs.

cheers,
dalibor topic

--
<http://www.oracle.com> Dalibor Topic | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +494089091214 <tel:+494089091214> | Mobile: +491737185961

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Kühnehöfe 5 | 22761 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

<http://www.oracle.com/commitment> Oracle is committed to developing
practices and products that help protect the environment

Re: experiments with jdk9

matecs
hi,
compact strings does not add too much in my case because i don't have too
much strings, but a lot of lists of arbitrary own binary types, mainly this:
http://sources.nop.hu/src/tab/tabRouteEntry.java
there are a lot of similarities as a lot of route properties match, for example
bgp as paths and bgp communities, etc... but in generally speaking, i'm
very satisfied with the memory footprint, the full internet table contains
650k routes nowadays, i've 100 peer routers to flood this info to, and i
keep track of each route per peer (which is just references to the calculated
best path, so these differs just for a very limited time frame, when convergence
happens in the wild and the old, sent route does not match newly calculated one),
and the whole big jvms use 10-13gb of ram, and the g1gc does not pause for more than
300 msec which is within the bounds of the routing protocols' requirements (ospf).

regarding the performance, my measures show about 10% gain on my routing table
operations (add, del, replace, longest-match) which is very nice achievement!
regards,
cs