icedtea-sound and java9

Fridrich Strba
Hello, good people,

Continuing in trying to make work stuff that worked with jdk8 and
somehow does not so well with jdk9, I massacred icedtea-sound. The
result is the attached patch. With it, one can build icedtea-sound.jar
as a modular jar with jdk9 and I was able to merge it into the jdk by
using this command:

/usr/lib64/jvm/java-9-openjdk-9/bin/jlink --module-path
/usr/lib64/jvm/java-9-openjdk-9/jmods:/home/fstrba/devel-cvs/icedtea-sound
--add-modules
"org.icedtea.sound,java.base,java.datatransfer,java.logging,java.activation,java.compiler,jdk.unsupported,java.rmi,java.transaction,java.xml,java.prefs,java.desktop,java.security.sasl,java.naming,java.corba,java.instrument,java.management,java.management.rmi,java.scripting,java.xml.ws.annotation,java.sql,java.sql.rowset,java.security.jgss,java.xml.crypto,java.se,java.xml.bind,jdk.httpserver,java.xml.ws,java.se.ee,java.smartcardio,jdk.accessibility,jdk.internal.vm.ci,jdk.management,jdk.internal.vm.compiler,jdk.aot,jdk.internal.jvmstat,jdk.attach,jdk.charsets,jdk.compiler,jdk.crypto.ec,jdk.crypto.cryptoki,jdk.dynalink,jdk.internal.ed,jdk.editpad,jdk.hotspot.agent,jdk.incubator.httpclient,jdk.internal.le,jdk.internal.opt,jdk.jartool,jdk.javadoc,jdk.jcmd,jdk.management.agent,jdk.jconsole,jdk.jdeps,jdk.jdwp.agent,jdk.jdi,jdk.jlink,jdk.jshell,jdk.jsobject,jdk.jstatd,jdk.localedata,jdk.naming.dns,jdk.naming.rmi,jdk.net,jdk.pack,jdk.security.jgss,jdk.policytool,jdk.rmic,jdk.scripting.nashorn,jdk.scripting.nashorn.shell,jdk.sctp,jdk.security.auth,jdk.xml.bind,jdk.xml.dom,jdk.xml.ws,jdk.zipfs"
--output /home/fstrba/devel-cvs/icedtea-sound/new_jdk

The resulting jdk9 in /home/fstrba/devel-cvs/icedtea-sound/new_jdk can
run without problem a simple test application JavaSoundDemo that I found
on web. I set the pulseaudio.debugLevel=Verbose, and it shows me that
PulseAudioMixerProvider is running.

the module list, I got it by sourcing the release file in the root of
the jdk and composing it using the space-separated list in variable MODULES:

NEWMODULES=org.icedtea.sound; for i in $MODULES; do
NEWMODULES="$NEWMODULES,$i"; done; echo $NEWMODULES

The attached patch is a bit overkeen, since I crafted it knowing that I
will apply it only with java9, so it is detecting the jdk9's java_home
and checks whether the jdk can build with source and target 9. Also, I
removed any way to build with ecj, since we want a modular jar. Another
thing is the deprecated javah tool: I modified the build so that the
header files be generated using the javac's -h option.

I don't know whether it interests anybody, but as usual, I don't want
this kind of things rot on my disk only.

Cheers

Fridrich

icedtea-sound-java9.patch (15K) Download Attachment

Re: icedtea-sound and java9

Andrew Hughes-8
On 2 November 2017 at 12:30, Fridrich Strba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, good people,
>
> Continuing in trying to make work stuff that worked with jdk8 and
> somehow does not so well with jdk9, I massacred icedtea-sound. The
> result is the attached patch. With it, one can build icedtea-sound.jar
> as a modular jar with jdk9 and I was able to merge it into the jdk by
> using this command:
>
> /usr/lib64/jvm/java-9-openjdk-9/bin/jlink --module-path
> /usr/lib64/jvm/java-9-openjdk-9/jmods:/home/fstrba/devel-cvs/icedtea-sound
> --add-modules
> "org.icedtea.sound,java.base,java.datatransfer,java.logging,java.activation,java.compiler,jdk.unsupported,java.rmi,java.transaction,java.xml,java.prefs,java.desktop,java.security.sasl,java.naming,java.corba,java.instrument,java.management,java.management.rmi,java.scripting,java.xml.ws.annotation,java.sql,java.sql.rowset,java.security.jgss,java.xml.crypto,java.se,java.xml.bind,jdk.httpserver,java.xml.ws,java.se.ee,java.smartcardio,jdk.accessibility,jdk.internal.vm.ci,jdk.management,jdk.internal.vm.compiler,jdk.aot,jdk.internal.jvmstat,jdk.attach,jdk.charsets,jdk.compiler,jdk.crypto.ec,jdk.crypto.cryptoki,jdk.dynalink,jdk.internal.ed,jdk.editpad,jdk.hotspot.agent,jdk.incubator.httpclient,jdk.internal.le,jdk.internal.opt,jdk.jartool,jdk.javadoc,jdk.jcmd,jdk.management.agent,jdk.jconsole,jdk.jdeps,jdk.jdwp.agent,jdk.jdi,jdk.jlink,jdk.jshell,jdk.jsobject,jdk.jstatd,jdk.localedata,jdk.naming.dns,jdk.naming.rmi,jdk.net,jdk.pack,jdk.security.jgss,jdk.policytool,jdk.rmic,jdk.scripting.nashorn,jdk.scripting.nashorn.shell,jdk.sctp,jdk.security.auth,jdk.xml.bind,jdk.xml.dom,jdk.xml.ws,jdk.zipfs"
> --output /home/fstrba/devel-cvs/icedtea-sound/new_jdk
>
> The resulting jdk9 in /home/fstrba/devel-cvs/icedtea-sound/new_jdk can
> run without problem a simple test application JavaSoundDemo that I found
> on web. I set the pulseaudio.debugLevel=Verbose, and it shows me that
> PulseAudioMixerProvider is running.
>
> the module list, I got it by sourcing the release file in the root of
> the jdk and composing it using the space-separated list in variable MODULES:
>
> NEWMODULES=org.icedtea.sound; for i in $MODULES; do
> NEWMODULES="$NEWMODULES,$i"; done; echo $NEWMODULES
>
> The attached patch is a bit overkeen, since I crafted it knowing that I
> will apply it only with java9, so it is detecting the jdk9's java_home
> and checks whether the jdk can build with source and target 9. Also, I
> removed any way to build with ecj, since we want a modular jar. Another
> thing is the deprecated javah tool: I modified the build so that the
> header files be generated using the javac's -h option.
>
> I don't know whether it interests anybody, but as usual, I don't want
> this kind of things rot on my disk only.
>
> Cheers
>
> Fridrich

Thanks for the patch. It's certainly interesting. I do think we could support
OpenJDK >= 9 without destroying support for earlier versions though. I'll
look into it when I get chance to look at 9 / IcedTea 4.x.

Are all those modules really necessary in the command above? That looks
horrible.

Andrew :)

Senior Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Web Site: http://fuseyism.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/gnu_andrew_java
PGP Key: ed25519/0xCFDA0F9B35964222 (hkp://keys.gnupg.net)
Fingerprint = 5132 579D D154 0ED2 3E04  C5A0 CFDA 0F9B 3596 4222

Re: icedtea-sound and java9

Fridrich Strba
On 02/11/17 19:13, Andrew Hughes wrote:
> Thanks for the patch. It's certainly interesting. I do think we could support
> OpenJDK >= 9 without destroying support for earlier versions though. I'll
> look into it when I get chance to look at 9 / IcedTea 4.x.

Yes, for sure, one can condition the whole thing on used javac version.
I just did not do it, since I am using this patch as is only in java >= 9.

> Are all those modules really necessary in the command above? That looks
> horrible.

Yes, horrible indeed, but the module that you don't mention will be not
in the resulting jdk, so ugly as it is, it is necessary. Although, in my
spec file, it is not looking as scary as that:

%if %{with_pulseaudio}
# Build the pulseaudio plugin
pushd icedtea-sound-%{icedtea_sound_version}
autoreconf --force --install
%configure \
    --with-jdk-home=$JAVA_HOME \
    --disable-docs
make %{?_smp_mflags}
cp icedtea-sound.jar $JAVA_HOME/../jmods/
cp build/native/libicedtea-sound.so $JAVA_HOME/lib/
echo "#Config file to enable PulseAudio support" >
$JAVA_HOME/conf/pulseaudio.properties
echo "" >> $JAVA_HOME/conf/pulseaudio.properties
echo
"javax.sound.sampled.Clip=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider"
>> $JAVA_HOME/conf/pulseaudio.properties
echo
"javax.sound.sampled.Port=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider"
>> $JAVA_HOME/conf/pulseaudio.properties
echo
"javax.sound.sampled.SourceDataLine=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider"
>> $JAVA_HOME/conf/pulseaudio.properties
echo
"javax.sound.sampled.TargetDataLine=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider"
>> $JAVA_HOME/conf/pulseaudio.properties
echo "" >> $JAVA_HOME/conf/pulseaudio.properties
popd
# Merge the icedtea-sound into the JDK
source $JAVA_HOME/release; export MODULES
ADDMODULES=org.icedtea.sound; for i in $MODULES; do
ADDMODULES="$ADDMODULES,$i"; done; export ADDMODULES
$JAVA_HOME/bin/jlink --module-path $JAVA_HOME/../jmods --add-modules
$ADDMODULES --output $JAVA_HOME/../newjdk
cp -rf $JAVA_HOME/../newjdk/* $JAVA_HOME/
rm -rf $JAVA_HOME/../newjdk
%endif

Where JAVA_HOME points there into the just built jdk root.

Cheers

Fridrich

P.S.: I tried to grep the code around the place and I cannot see where
on the earth the pulseaudio.properties is read. I have even the
impression that it is not needed. Nevertheless, the attraction of cargo
cult is yuuge.

Re: icedtea-sound and java9

Fridrich Strba
Hello, Andrew,

On 02/11/17 19:13, Andrew Hughes wrote:
> Thanks for the patch. It's certainly interesting. I do think we could support
> OpenJDK >= 9 without destroying support for earlier versions though. I'll
> look into it when I get chance to look at 9 / IcedTea 4.x.

It should be actually possible to compile with source/target 9 only the
module-info.java file and the rest of the classes with source/target 6.
It should be even possible to create a non-modular jar file and then
upgrade it to modular one in another target that would depend on whether
we have java9 or not:

jar --update --file icedtea-sound.jar -C wrapper/module-info.class

This would still need to detect the version of jdk used and maybe leave
in the stuff around JAVAH even though it is deprecated, only to be able
to build with lower versions of jdk.

Cheers

Fridrich

P.S.: As to the module name, I used in the patch org.icedtea.sound, but
in my last spec file I have just "icedtea-sound", since the package name
does not have to follow any particular pattern.

Re: icedtea-sound and java9

Fridrich Strba
On 03/11/17 08:10, Fridrich Strba wrote:
> P.S.: As to the module name, I used in the patch org.icedtea.sound, but
> in my last spec file I have just "icedtea-sound", since the package name
> does not have to follow any particular pattern.

Not true :(

The "-" cannot be part of the module name, so I made it icedtea.sound.

Cheers

F.

Re: icedtea-sound and java9

Omair Majid

* Fridrich Strba <[hidden email]> [2017-11-02 08:30]:
> Continuing in trying to make work stuff that worked with jdk8 and
> somehow does not so well with jdk9, I massacred icedtea-sound.

This may be a stupid question, but what use case is motivating this? In
my experience, the default openjdk audio providers should Just Work on
systems with PulseAudio too. Are you aware of any issue which occurs
with the default openjdk audio provider but not with icedtea-sound?

There are some known issues in icedtea-sound that havent been fixed in a
while. You may be better off by not including it.

Thanks,
Omair

PGP Key: 66484681 (http://pgp.mit.edu/)
Fingerprint = F072 555B 0A17 3957 4E95  0056 F286 F14F 6648 4681

Re: icedtea-sound and java9

Fridrich Strba
$ Hello,

On 06/11/17 21:59, Omair Majid wrote:
> This may be a stupid question, but what use case is motivating this? In
> my experience, the default openjdk audio providers should Just Work on
> systems with PulseAudio too. Are you aware of any issue which occurs
> with the default openjdk audio provider but not with icedtea-sound?

There are no stupid questions in the world, unless it is me who is
asking. Now, I do all this personally as a pure intellectual exercise.
This allows me to explore the marvels of Jigsaw in a bit more concrete
way. Just for my management, I justify myself by saying that I want to
have certain solutions ready before some customer asks for them :) I am
posting this kind of solutions just for he sake of those that would love
to have them working, in order to avoid that several people waste
resources on the same thing.

> There are some known issues in icedtea-sound that havent been fixed in a
> while. You may be better off by not including it.

Yeah, in my spec file, this is all wrapped in a %{with_pulseaudio}
condition, so it is somehow easy to switch on or off depending on the
verbosity of complaining users.

Cheers

Fridrich

Re: icedtea-sound and java9

Andrew Hughes-8
On 3 November 2017 at 06:04, Fridrich Strba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/11/17 19:13, Andrew Hughes wrote:
>> Thanks for the patch. It's certainly interesting. I do think we could support
>> OpenJDK >= 9 without destroying support for earlier versions though. I'll
>> look into it when I get chance to look at 9 / IcedTea 4.x.
>
> Yes, for sure, one can condition the whole thing on used javac version.
> I just did not do it, since I am using this patch as is only in java >= 9.
>
>> Are all those modules really necessary in the command above? That looks
>> horrible.
>
> Yes, horrible indeed, but the module that you don't mention will be not
> in the resulting jdk, so ugly as it is, it is necessary. Although, in my
> spec file, it is not looking as scary as that:
>
> %if %{with_pulseaudio}
> # Build the pulseaudio plugin
> pushd icedtea-sound-%{icedtea_sound_version}
> autoreconf --force --install
> %configure \
>     --with-jdk-home=$JAVA_HOME \
>     --disable-docs
> make %{?_smp_mflags}
> cp icedtea-sound.jar $JAVA_HOME/../jmods/
> cp build/native/libicedtea-sound.so $JAVA_HOME/lib/
> echo "#Config file to enable PulseAudio support" >
> $JAVA_HOME/conf/pulseaudio.properties
> echo "" >> $JAVA_HOME/conf/pulseaudio.properties
> echo
> "javax.sound.sampled.Clip=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider"
>>> $JAVA_HOME/conf/pulseaudio.properties
> echo
> "javax.sound.sampled.Port=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider"
>>> $JAVA_HOME/conf/pulseaudio.properties
> echo
> "javax.sound.sampled.SourceDataLine=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider"
>>> $JAVA_HOME/conf/pulseaudio.properties
> echo
> "javax.sound.sampled.TargetDataLine=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider"
>>> $JAVA_HOME/conf/pulseaudio.properties
> echo "" >> $JAVA_HOME/conf/pulseaudio.properties
> popd
> # Merge the icedtea-sound into the JDK
> source $JAVA_HOME/release; export MODULES
> ADDMODULES=org.icedtea.sound; for i in $MODULES; do
> ADDMODULES="$ADDMODULES,$i"; done; export ADDMODULES
> $JAVA_HOME/bin/jlink --module-path $JAVA_HOME/../jmods --add-modules
> $ADDMODULES --output $JAVA_HOME/../newjdk
> cp -rf $JAVA_HOME/../newjdk/* $JAVA_HOME/
> rm -rf $JAVA_HOME/../newjdk
> %endif
>
> Where JAVA_HOME points there into the just built jdk root.
>
> Cheers
>
> Fridrich
>
> P.S.: I tried to grep the code around the place and I cannot see where
> on the earth the pulseaudio.properties is read. I have even the
> impression that it is not needed. Nevertheless, the attraction of cargo
> cult is yuuge.

I should maybe look at an install stage for the above when I have time.

I think it may be intended to be appended to sound.properties (if that
still exists
in 9), though that would have the effect of enabling the provider as default.

Omair should know more.

On 07/11/17 16:32, Andrew Hughes wrote:
> I think it may be intended to be appended to sound.properties (if that
> still exists
> in 9), though that would have the effect of enabling the provider as default.

I found in the code just one place where the sound.properties is parsed,
in JDK13Services.java

The experiment shows that icedtea.sound is used as default with empty
sound.properties. It is maybe because of the order the providers are
sorted out in the modules:

jlink --module-path /usr/lib64/jvm/java-9-openjdk-9/jmods
--suggest-providers javax.sound.sampled.spi.MixerProvider

Suggested providers:
  icedtea.sound provides javax.sound.sampled.spi.MixerProvider used by
java.desktop
  java.desktop provides javax.sound.sampled.spi.MixerProvider used by
java.desktop

Maybe it goes in alphabetical order, since when the module was called
org.icedtea.sound, it was still using the internal one.

Concerning the pulseaudio.properties, it looks like it might have used
some icedtea modification/patch. But I didn't find any place it would be
parsed in jdk9 or in icedtea-3.6.0. Maybe just my eyes, maybe it is not
used.

Cheers

Fridrich

Re: icedtea-sound and java9

Omair Majid

* Fridrich Strba <[hidden email]> [2017-11-07 03:21]:
> I am posting this kind of solutions just for he sake of those that
> would love to have them working, in order to avoid that several people
> waste resources on the same thing.

Appreciated. Thanks.

> > There are some known issues in icedtea-sound that havent been fixed in a
> > while. You may be better off by not including it.
>
> Yeah, in my spec file, this is all wrapped in a %{with_pulseaudio}
> condition, so it is somehow easy to switch on or off depending on the
> verbosity of complaining users.

That makes sense. Can I suggest starting with a default of off? If there
specific concerns, I would love to know about them. It may be possible
to fix issues in and improve OpenJDK itself rather than needing quite a
bit of extra code that hasn't been well-maintained for a long time.

Thanks,
Omair

PGP Key: 66484681 (http://pgp.mit.edu/)
Fingerprint = F072 555B 0A17 3957 4E95  0056 F286 F14F 6648 4681

Re: icedtea-sound and java9

Omair Majid
* Fridrich Strba <[hidden email]> [2017-11-07 10:42]:

> On 07/11/17 16:32, Andrew Hughes wrote:
> > I think it may be intended to be appended to sound.properties (if that
> > still exists
> > in 9), though that would have the effect of enabling the provider as default.
>
> I found in the code just one place where the sound.properties is parsed,
> in JDK13Services.java
>
> The experiment shows that icedtea.sound is used as default with empty
> sound.properties. It is maybe because of the order the providers are
> sorted out in the modules:
>
> jlink --module-path /usr/lib64/jvm/java-9-openjdk-9/jmods
> --suggest-providers javax.sound.sampled.spi.MixerProvider
>
> Suggested providers:
>   icedtea.sound provides javax.sound.sampled.spi.MixerProvider used by
> java.desktop
>   java.desktop provides javax.sound.sampled.spi.MixerProvider used by
> java.desktop
>

> Maybe it goes in alphabetical order, since when the module was called
> org.icedtea.sound, it was still using the internal one.

That sounds right to me: the order is not explicitly determined and may
change for many reasons. In the initial versions, we explicitly added a
provider to sound.properties to make the icedtea.sound provider *not*
the default:

http://icedtea.classpath.org/hg/icedtea6/rev/8b85ec866923?revcount=10240#l7.1

> Concerning the pulseaudio.properties, it looks like it might have used
> some icedtea modification/patch. But I didn't find any place it would be
> parsed in jdk9 or in icedtea-3.6.0. Maybe just my eyes, maybe it is not
> used.

That sounds right to me too. I don't recall ever implementing a
pulseaudio.properties. Maybe it came out from the splitting of icedtea6
(sound.properties) and icedtea-sound?

Thanks,
Omair

On 7 November 2017 at 22:00, Omair Majid <[hidden email]> wrote:
> * Fridrich Strba <[hidden email]> [2017-11-07 10:42]:

snip...

>> Concerning the pulseaudio.properties, it looks like it might have used
>> some icedtea modification/patch. But I didn't find any place it would be
>> parsed in jdk9 or in icedtea-3.6.0. Maybe just my eyes, maybe it is not
>> used.
>
> That sounds right to me too. I don't recall ever implementing a
> pulseaudio.properties. Maybe it came out from the splitting of icedtea6
> (sound.properties) and icedtea-sound?
>
> Thanks,
> Omair
>
> --
> PGP Key: 66484681 (http://pgp.mit.edu/)
> Fingerprint = F072 555B 0A17 3957 4E95  0056 F286 F14F 6648 4681

IcedTea 3.x never carried the pulseaudio provider and I don't know how this
area has changed in OpenJDK 9.

It's still a part of the last IcedTea 1.x release, 1.13.13. A cursory
look suggests
I was right and it was originally a sound.properties patch which
became disembodied
when we moved to IcedTea-Sound.

$ cat ../icedtea6/patches/pulse-soundproperties.patch
--- openjdk/jdk/src/share/lib/sound.properties    2008-08-28
04:15:18.000000000 -0400
+++ openjdk/jdk/src/share/lib/sound.properties    2008-10-03
16:59:21.000000000 -0400
@@ -37,3 +37,13 @@
 # Specify the default Receiver by provider and name:
 # javax.sound.midi.Receiver=com.sun.media.sound.MidiProvider#SunMIDI1
 #
+
+# javax.sound.sampled.Clip=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider
+# javax.sound.sampled.Port=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider
+# javax.sound.sampled.SourceDataLine=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider
+# javax.sound.sampled.TargetDataLine=org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider
+
+javax.sound.sampled.Clip=com.sun.media.sound.DirectAudioDeviceProvider
+javax.sound.sampled.Port=com.sun.media.sound.PortMixerProvider
+javax.sound.sampled.SourceDataLine=com.sun.media.sound.DirectAudioDeviceProvider
+javax.sound.sampled.TargetDataLine=com.sun.media.sound.DirectAudioDeviceProvider

IcedTea-Sound really needs an install phase to handle stuff like that.
As I say, I'll look into that
when I'm not in the middle of a security update :-)
--
Andrew :)

Senior Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Web Site: http://fuseyism.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/gnu_andrew_java
PGP Key: ed25519/0xCFDA0F9B35964222 (hkp://keys.gnupg.net)
Fingerprint = 5132 579D D154 0ED2 3E04  C5A0 CFDA 0F9B 3596 4222

Re: icedtea-sound and java9

Omair Majid
* Andrew Hughes <[hidden email]> [2017-11-07 17:21]:
> IcedTea-Sound really needs an install phase to handle stuff like that.

Honestly, we might be better off just letting icedtea-sound die. I dont
know if it addresses any use case that the default audio providers
doesn't.

Thanks,
Omair