Quantcast

introduction and some questions

Logan O'Sullivan Bruns
Hi,

I just signed the OCA and had a couple of questions on how to best get
started. I'm a software engineer and have been working in the industry
for a number of years. I currently work for LinkedIn. If you are
curious about the specifics or where else I've worked you can find
most of it here (still need to finish filling in all role descriptions
at some point):

  https://www.linkedin.com/in/loganbruns/

I have a few areas of interest in the JDK but I also just want to make
more of an effort, in general, to contribute back to tools I use and
value. To this end I figured I'd start with some small bug
fixes.

For a start I've noticed that jshell in jdk9 doesn't currently work
well within the shell mode of my beloved Emacs. A very minor change to
the terminal handling fixes this and I have a patch for the change.
(Which might the dwindling group of emacs lovers happy if it is
addressed before jdk9 goes out.)

For other projects I might find a bug or enhancement
possibility. Fix and test it. File a bug mentioning that I also have a
suggested fix. Then create a pull request referencing the bug.

In this case, I've signed the OCA but I don't see a way to create a
bug? There doesn't seem to be a way to create an account on the bug
database? Where would be the best place to start?

Thanks,
  logan

Re: introduction and some questions

Mario Torre-5

> I just signed the OCA and had a couple of questions on how to best get
> started. I'm a software engineer and have been working in the industry
> for a number of years. I currently work for LinkedIn. If you are
> curious about the specifics or where else I've worked you can find
> most of it here (still need to finish filling in all role descriptions
> at some point):
>
>   https://www.linkedin.com/in/loganbruns/
>
> I have a few areas of interest in the JDK but I also just want to make
> more of an effort, in general, to contribute back to tools I use and
> value. To this end I figured I'd start with some small bug
> fixes.
>
> For a start I've noticed that jshell in jdk9 doesn't currently work
> well within the shell mode of my beloved Emacs. A very minor change to
> the terminal handling fixes this and I have a patch for the change.
> (Which might the dwindling group of emacs lovers happy if it is
> addressed before jdk9 goes out.)
>
> For other projects I might find a bug or enhancement
> possibility. Fix and test it. File a bug mentioning that I also have a
> suggested fix. Then create a pull request referencing the bug.
>
> In this case, I've signed the OCA but I don't see a way to create a
> bug? There doesn't seem to be a way to create an account on the bug
> database? Where would be the best place to start?

Hello Logan, welcome!

You need to be an Author[1] to file bug reports and create changesets
o webrev. However, if the patch is small enough, you may be able to
just post it inline with the email (not attached, mailing list strip
attachments), you then will need a sponsor to do the heavy work of
creating the bug report, reviewing the patch and pushing it on your
behalf. When you have enough of those contributions you will be an
Author and can do everything by yourself (pending approvals, of
course); the process ramps up pretty quickly if you have a number of
small patches or significant ones that pile up, but it has a slow
warmup time.

The best place to start would be to identify the area of the patch and
propose it to the relative mailing list. The timing maybe unfortunate
though, 9 is in a finalisation phase so only specific bugs are allowed
to be pushed into the repositories, which also means everybody is
super busy and response time is slower. In general you need to work
your way from the latest and back port things, so you should start
with 10 (which is semi-open at this stage). I do recommend to work
directly on 10 nevertheless.

This page highlights some of the process involved in more details:
http://openjdk.java.net/contribute/

Cheers,
Mario

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/bylaws#author
--
pgp key: http://subkeys.pgp.net/ PGP Key ID: 80F240CF
Fingerprint: BA39 9666 94EC 8B73 27FA  FC7C 4086 63E3 80F2 40CF

Java Champion - Blog: http://neugens.wordpress.com - Twitter: @neugens
Proud GNU Classpath developer: http://www.classpath.org/
OpenJDK: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/caciocavallo/

Please, support open standards:
http://endsoftpatents.org/

Re: introduction and some questions

Ben Evans-4
Hi Logan,

Welcome to OpenJDK. One thing we recommend is that new developers
coming from the community can contact the Adoption Group
(http://openjdk.java.net/groups/adoption/), where we can provide more
targetted help.

In general, OpenJDK tends to be a bit more of an "earn your stripes"
community than some others you may have participated in - and that's
partly tied up with the release cycle of major versions.

You've joined at a bit of an odd time, as the rampdown process for 9
is already well underway - so all the committers are very busy &
there's not a lot of scope to get new changes in.

However, I would still subscribe to kulla-dev (the group for jshell)
and explain the bug & your patch there, and see if it can be
classified as a bug of sufficient need to still make the initial SE 9
release (although, at a guess, I would say that's probably unlikely).

Thanks,

Ben

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Logan O'Sullivan Bruns
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just signed the OCA and had a couple of questions on how to best get
> started. I'm a software engineer and have been working in the industry
> for a number of years. I currently work for LinkedIn. If you are
> curious about the specifics or where else I've worked you can find
> most of it here (still need to finish filling in all role descriptions
> at some point):
>
>   https://www.linkedin.com/in/loganbruns/
>
> I have a few areas of interest in the JDK but I also just want to make
> more of an effort, in general, to contribute back to tools I use and
> value. To this end I figured I'd start with some small bug
> fixes.
>
> For a start I've noticed that jshell in jdk9 doesn't currently work
> well within the shell mode of my beloved Emacs. A very minor change to
> the terminal handling fixes this and I have a patch for the change.
> (Which might the dwindling group of emacs lovers happy if it is
> addressed before jdk9 goes out.)
>
> For other projects I might find a bug or enhancement
> possibility. Fix and test it. File a bug mentioning that I also have a
> suggested fix. Then create a pull request referencing the bug.
>
> In this case, I've signed the OCA but I don't see a way to create a
> bug? There doesn't seem to be a way to create an account on the bug
> database? Where would be the best place to start?
>
> Thanks,
>   logan

Re: introduction and some questions

Jonathan Gibbons
Although, as Ben noted, the rampdown process for 9 is already well underway,
the repos for 10 are already open, so anything that may be too late for 9
may be a candidate for 10.

-- Jon

On 02/28/2017 09:32 AM, Ben Evans wrote:

> Hi Logan,
>
> Welcome to OpenJDK. One thing we recommend is that new developers
> coming from the community can contact the Adoption Group
> (http://openjdk.java.net/groups/adoption/), where we can provide more
> targetted help.
>
> In general, OpenJDK tends to be a bit more of an "earn your stripes"
> community than some others you may have participated in - and that's
> partly tied up with the release cycle of major versions.
>
> You've joined at a bit of an odd time, as the rampdown process for 9
> is already well underway - so all the committers are very busy &
> there's not a lot of scope to get new changes in.
>
> However, I would still subscribe to kulla-dev (the group for jshell)
> and explain the bug & your patch there, and see if it can be
> classified as a bug of sufficient need to still make the initial SE 9
> release (although, at a guess, I would say that's probably unlikely).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben
>

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Logan O'Sullivan Bruns
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just signed the OCA and had a couple of questions on how to best get
>> started. I'm a software engineer and have been working in the industry
>> for a number of years. I currently work for LinkedIn. If you are
>> curious about the specifics or where else I've worked you can find
>> most of it here (still need to finish filling in all role descriptions
>> at some point):
>>
>>    https://www.linkedin.com/in/loganbruns/
>>
>> I have a few areas of interest in the JDK but I also just want to make
>> more of an effort, in general, to contribute back to tools I use and
>> value. To this end I figured I'd start with some small bug
>> fixes.
>>
>> For a start I've noticed that jshell in jdk9 doesn't currently work
>> well within the shell mode of my beloved Emacs. A very minor change to
>> the terminal handling fixes this and I have a patch for the change.
>> (Which might the dwindling group of emacs lovers happy if it is
>> addressed before jdk9 goes out.)
>>
>> For other projects I might find a bug or enhancement
>> possibility. Fix and test it. File a bug mentioning that I also have a
>> suggested fix. Then create a pull request referencing the bug.
>>
>> In this case, I've signed the OCA but I don't see a way to create a
>> bug? There doesn't seem to be a way to create an account on the bug
>> database? Where would be the best place to start?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>    logan

Re: introduction and some questions

Remi Forax
And the patch can be backported from 10 to 9 in an update release if necessary.

Remi

On February 28, 2017 7:08:20 PM GMT+01:00, Jonathan Gibbons <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>make
>>> more of an effort, in general, to contribute back to tools I use and
>>> value. To this end I figured I'd start with some small bug
>>> fixes.
>>>
>>> For a start I've noticed that jshell in jdk9 doesn't currently work
>>> well within the shell mode of my beloved Emacs. A very minor change
>>> the terminal handling fixes this and I have a patch for the change.
>>> (Which might the dwindling group of emacs lovers happy if it is
>>> addressed before jdk9 goes out.)
>>>
>>> For other projects I might find a bug or enhancement
>>> possibility. Fix and test it. File a bug mentioning that I also have
>>> suggested fix. Then create a pull request referencing the bug.
>>>
>>> In this case, I've signed the OCA but I don't see a way to create a
>>> bug? There doesn't seem to be a way to create an account on the bug
>>> database? Where would be the best place to start?

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. That all makes sense. I'll start
a thread on the kulla-dev list and see if it can be fixed in 10 and
maybe considered for a back port to 9 later.

  - logan