<AWT Dev> RFR: [12] JDK-8196681: Java Access Bridge logging and debug flags dynamically controlled

<AWT Dev> RFR: [12] JDK-8196681: Java Access Bridge logging and debug flags dynamically controlled

Krishna Addepalli

Hi All,

Enhancement: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8196681

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kaddepalli/8196681/webrev00/

Please review an enhancement for supporting the logging of Java Access Bridge, so that customers/users facing problems with Accessibility can turn on/off logging to debug problems with this feature.

The proposed solution is to have the user/developer define an environment variable “JAVA_ACCESSBRIDGE_LOGFILE” and filling with the path to the log file.

The JavaAccessBridge will read the variable, and write to the file in the path provided.
Note that the implementation is simplistic, and doesnot have any way to handle multiple applications, since it is a debug only feature.

Thanks,

Krishna

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: [12] JDK-8196681: Java Access Bridge logging and debug flags dynamically controlled

Krishna Addepalli

Thanks for the review Prasanta. Although there is not much difference between using fprintf and vfprintf, I have changed all the calls to vfprintf.

Here is the new webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kaddepalli/8196681/webrev01/

Krishna

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: [12] JDK-8196681: Java Access Bridge logging and debug flags dynamically controlled

Krishna Addepalli

Thanks for the comments. Here is the new webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kaddepalli/8196681/webrev02/

--Krishna

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: [12] JDK-8196681: Java Access Bridge logging and debug flags dynamically controlled

Krishna Addepalli

Nullptr is the recommended way in modern c++. I thought of changing the other places as well, but wanted to keep the changes minimal, so left them as is.

Thanks,

Krishna

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: [12] JDK-8196681: Java Access Bridge logging and debug flags dynamically controlled

Sergey Bylokhov
Hi, Krishna.
Can you please recheck how this logging will work when jab code will
print something in parallel. As far as I understand
libwindowsaccessbridge is loaded by the JAWS and libjavaaccessbridge by
java, is it possibly that the log file will be garbled because of two
libraries will print in parallel?

Best regards, Sergey.

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: [12] JDK-8196681: Java Access Bridge logging and debug flags dynamically controlled

Krishna Addepalli
Hi Sergey,

Since the bug was about supporting Java Access Bridge Debugging, I have enabled logging only for Java Access Bridge. So, any log statements form Windows Access bridge are ignored.

Do you think we should enable logging for Windows Access Bridge as well?

Thanks,
Krishna

> On 17-Sep-2018, at 11:12 AM, Sergey Bylokhov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi, Krishna.
> Can you please recheck how this logging will work when jab code will print something in parallel. As far as I understand libwindowsaccessbridge is loaded by the JAWS and libjavaaccessbridge by java, is it possibly that the log file will be garbled because of two libraries will print in parallel?
>
> On 13/09/2018 12:25, Krishna Addepalli wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> Enhancement: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8196681
>> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kaddepalli/8196681/webrev00/ <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Ekaddepalli/8196681/webrev00/>
>> Please review an enhancement for supporting the logging of Java Access Bridge, so that customers/users facing problems with Accessibility can turn on/off logging to debug problems with this feature.
>> The proposed solution is to have the user/developer define an environment variable “*JAVA_ACCESSBRIDGE_LOGFILE*” and filling with the path to the log file.
>> The JavaAccessBridge will read the variable, and write to the file in the path provided.
>> Note that the implementation is simplistic, and doesnot have any way to handle multiple applications, since it is a debug only feature.
>> Thanks,
>> Krishna

> Best regards, Sergey.

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: [12] JDK-8196681: Java Access Bridge logging and debug flags dynamically controlled

Sergey Bylokhov
Hi, Krishna.
The "Java Access Bridge" as a product includes
WindowsAccessBridge-xx.dll and JavaAccessBridge-xx.dll.

Best regards, Sergey.

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: [12] JDK-8196681: Java Access Bridge logging and debug flags dynamically controlled

Sergey Bylokhov
I guess that it is a good thing to use nullptr, but I think it is better
to follow the style used in the file, and replace NULL to nullptr in the
whole file in some separate fix.

Best regards, Sergey.

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: [12] JDK-8196681: Java Access Bridge logging and debug flags dynamically controlled

Krishna Addepalli
Hi Sergey,

Per our conversation, I have made the following changes:
1. Add logging support to WindowsAccessBridge as well.
2. Added timestamp info in the log file.
3. Added INFO/WARN/ERROR tags as appropriate in all the places where the logging function is called.
4. JavaAccessBridge will generate the file suffixed with "_java_access_bridge", whereas WindowsAccessBridge generates file suffixed with "_windows_access_bridge".

Here is the updated webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kaddepalli/8196681/webrev04/

Thanks,
Krishna

Best regards, Sergey.

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: [12] JDK-8196681: Java Access Bridge logging and debug flags dynamically controlled

Shashidhara H V
Hi Krishna, I have imported the patch and used it for some testing. The debug logs helped with debug information of the actions that I performed with a demo application. Below are few suggestions:

1. The Windows log file did not had any extensions whereas the java log had the file extension. May be a default extension could be built in.
2. Another thing I felt was that the windows log file was populated by the access bridge module causing it to write it for any version of java usage and whereas Java log file will be written for the built java module. Since both of them are behaving differently can we have 2 separate variables for it instead of one? Since the windows log file can grow to larger size and for debugging java log is sufficient at times, we can keep it separate.

Otherwise the changes looks good to me.

Thanks and regards,
Shashi

Best regards, Sergey.

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: [12] JDK-8196681: Java Access Bridge logging and debug flags dynamically controlled

Krishna Addepalli
Hi Shashi,

1. It is strange that the Windows Log file did not have any extension and the Java log file had an extension. The code for reading the environment variable content and creating the appropriate file is common between JavaAccessBridge.dll and WindowsAccessBridge.dll, so if one is able to read the environment variable with the extension, so should the other.
The scenario where I see this could be broken could be that, you update the environment variable, and not restart either the JAWs application or the Cygwin/Java IDE from which you run the java program.

2. Since this is a debug feature, it is expected that the developers are aware of the log file getting written out from JAWs side as well (WindowsAccessBridge.dll).
Nevertheless, I agree with your point that if the JAWs is active for long time, the log file can get pretty big.
But, even if we add another environment variable, the problem remains the same. So, I think we can only add a note saying that it is recommended to close JAWs after each debug session.

Thanks,
Krishna

Best regards, Sergey.

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: [12] JDK-8196681: Java Access Bridge logging and debug flags dynamically controlled

Shashidhara H V
Hi Krishna, Sure I will check it once again tomorrow for the logger file extension as I am not able to get the JAWS license from home network.

Another problem that I see is that the way we use the environment variable. We need to set the flag pointing to a single text file it will end up in creating 2 text files from 2 different sources but both the names does not match the environment variable value. So it is good to separate them out or you can clearly mention the notes in detail.

Best regards, Sergey.

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: [12] JDK-8196681: Java Access Bridge logging and debug flags dynamically controlled

Shashidhara H V
Hi Krishna, Environment variable set to a file name(with an extension), did created a file with that extension. But without it, the extensions were blank. So I suggest to default to .log if there is no extension set by the user(then the system can choose) as it is a log of debug prints and the file can be opened instantly.

Thanks and regards,
Shashi

Best regards, Sergey.

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: [12] JDK-8196681: Java Access Bridge logging and debug flags dynamically controlled

Krishna Addepalli
Hi Shashi,

Thanks for the comments, here is the updated webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kaddepalli/8196681/webrev05

Krishna

Best regards, Sergey.

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: [12] JDK-8196681: Java Access Bridge logging and debug flags dynamically controlled

Shashidhara H V
Hi Krishna, The changes looks good to me and I did imported this patch and found that the debug logs are useful in debugging the accessibility related issues. I could see the actions being done on the java program reflected in the corresponding java and windows native logs. And thanks for adding the classification for the logs.

Thanks and regards,
Shashi

--
Best regards, Sergey.