<AWT Dev> RFR: 8173409: make setMixingCutoutShape public and remove jdk.desktop

<AWT Dev> RFR: 8173409: make setMixingCutoutShape public and remove jdk.desktop

Phil Race
Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~prr/8173409/

In OpenJDK the jdk.desktop module (not java.desktop) has only one method.
It is the vestige of com.sun.awt.AWTUtilities added in JDK 6 updates.

It provides a way to access to Component.setMixingCutoutShape

the jdk.desktop module was created so that apps could still access it without
using --add-exports - although at the expense of a code update.

We'd prefer to eliminate this non-standard API and module before JDK 9
goes final and can do so by making the above method public and standard

As a result jdk.desktop becomes empty and can go away ..

Swing's own internal uses have been updated and should be fully compatible
since the implementation is unchanged.

The existing tests which verify the API are updated to use the public API.
They should pass as well as they ever did ..

I did leave the AWTAccessor code in there for apps that absolutely have no way
to recompile to the new API and need to use --add-exports for now.

A CCC will be submitted for this change.

-phil.

Re: <AWT Dev> RFR: 8173409: make setMixingCutoutShape public and remove jdk.desktop

Mandy Chung

The part that removes of jdk.desktop looks good.

Mandy

Re: <AWT Dev> <Swing Dev> RFR: 8173409: make setMixingCutoutShape public and remove jdk.desktop

Alexandr Scherbatiy

The fix looks good to me.

Thanks,
Alexandr.