<Swing Dev> [10] JDK-8004029: [macosx] The long Tab titles are not clipped with dots at the end.

<Swing Dev> [10] JDK-8004029: [macosx] The long Tab titles are not clipped with dots at the end.

Shashidhara H V

Hi All, Please review a fix for the JDK- 8004029 where the long tab titles were not clipped with the dots at the end to indicate a lengthy title. The aqua look and feel which is the default laf for mac does the title clipping only leading to an ambiguous UI where in the clipped title would look like the complete title though it is not. Hence it is good to show dots at the end indicating a much bigger title exists though the tab does not have enough real estate to display the complete title.

Solution and fix: I have updated the aqua laf module to clip the title text and put the dots at the end if the text size is larger than the tab size. Below is the picture after the fix.

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~aghaisas/shashi/8004029/webrev.00/

Thanks and regards,

Shashi

Re: <Swing Dev> [10] JDK-8004029: [macosx] The long Tab titles are not clipped with dots at the end.

prasanta sadhukhan

Fix looks good.

But, can you update test/javax/swing/JTabbedPane/4310381/bug4310381.java to include the test for all installed l&fs so that we can see if there is problem in any other l&fs?

Regards
Prasanta
On 8/17/2017 2:08 PM, Shashidhara Veerabhadraiah wrote:

[...]

Sergey Bylokhov
I am not sure is it possible to prove, but I think that we need to pass
tabPane as a component to ClipStrinUfNecessary.

Best regards, Sergey.

Re: <Swing Dev> [10] JDK-8004029: [macosx] The long Tab titles are not clipped with dots at the end.

Shashidhara H V

Hi All, Please find the updated Webrev at the below link.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sveerabhadra/8004029/webrev.01/

I have added a new test that would go through different laf's and runs the test of the tab titles. Previously this test had been a single default laf test with appletviewer and now replaced for multi laf testing along with the normal java execution. There are instances of inaccurate rendering of the titles with respect to the tab pane component like clipping, starting offset and going beyond the tab pane size as shown below in some of the examples:

This requires a different thread to really understand why this variation across the multiple laf representation and needs more proper bounding the title to fit properly within the tab pane space. Hence I will be raising multiple bugs to indicate these current issues and will be resolved later. Please note that this issue is not because of the clipping of the text that these current changes that are done under this bug fix.

Thanks and regards,

Shashi

--

Best regards, Sergey.

Re: <Swing Dev> [10] JDK-8004029: [macosx] The long Tab titles are not clipped with dots at the end.

Sergey Bylokhov
Hi, Shashi.
The fix looks fine, but it looks like bug4310381.html should be removed
because it is not used?

Best regards, Sergey.

Best regards, Sergey.

Re: <Swing Dev> [10] JDK-8004029: [macosx] The long Tab titles are not clipped with dots at the end.

Shashidhara H V
Hi, I have updated the webrev to indicate the removal of a file which is not required anymore owing to the change in test from appletviewer based to standard java execution. This is only for the reference.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sveerabhadra/8004029/webrev.02/

Thanks and regards,
Shashi

Best regards, Sergey.

Re: <Swing Dev> [10] JDK-8004029: [macosx] The long Tab titles are not clipped with dots at the end.

Sergey Bylokhov
Looks fine.

Best regards, Sergey.

Re: <Swing Dev> [10] JDK-8004029: [macosx] The long Tab titles are not clipped with dots at the end.

prasanta sadhukhan

Few observations on test:

init() needs to be called under EDT
you are calling
disposeUI() in line 233, so it seems there is no need calling again in line122

Regards
Prasanta

--

Best regards, Sergey.

--
Best regards, Sergey.

Re: <Swing Dev> [10] JDK-8004029: [macosx] The long Tab titles are not clipped with dots at the end.

Shashidhara H V

Hi Prasanta, Here is the updated Webrev.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sveerabhadra/8004029/webrev.03/

Please note that I have not done the 2nd change(disposeUI() case) as this is required for the time out case where in the testresult had been initialized with false and would call the disposeUI() accordingly.

Thanks and regards,

Shashi

--

Best regards, Sergey.

--
Best regards, Sergey.

Re: <Swing Dev> [10] JDK-8004029: [macosx] The long Tab titles are not clipped with dots at the end.

prasanta sadhukhan

One more thing I noticed

106              } catch (Exception e) {
 107                   throw new RuntimeException(e);
 108              }
 109
 110             // disposing the frame
 111             SwingUtilities.invokeAndWait(() -> {
 112                 frame.dispose();
 113             });
if there is any exception thrown as above, then we are not going to dispose. I believe it will be better if we do try-catch-finally and add frame.dispose() in finally block.
Also, I think it should be disposeUI() rather than frame.dispose() as we have already called createUI() by that time so testUI frame is also present.

Also, for 2nd change, I got your point. In that case, I guess you can bring l122-123 inside if (!status)
117         if (!status) {
 118             System.out.println("Test timed out.");
 119         }
 120
 121         if (test.testResult == false) {
 122             disposeUI();
 123             throw new RuntimeException("Test Failed.");
 124         }

Maybe you can call full thing under try-catch-finally
 try{
86         for(UIManager.LookAndFeelInfo laf : UIManager.getInstalledLookAndFeels()) {
} catch () {
 throw RuntimeException
} finally {
 disposeUI();
}

Regards
Prasanta

--

Best regards, Sergey.

--
Best regards, Sergey.

Re: <Swing Dev> [10] JDK-8004029: [macosx] The long Tab titles are not clipped with dots at the end.

Shashidhara H V

Hi, Here is the updated webrev. Removed unnecessary try catch blocks!!

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sveerabhadra/8004029/webrev.04/

Thanks and regards,

Shashi

--

Best regards, Sergey.

--
Best regards, Sergey.

Re: <Swing Dev> [10] JDK-8004029: [macosx] The long Tab titles are not clipped with dots at the end.

prasanta sadhukhan

looks better. but, disposeUI() do not throw any exception so no need to catch in

try {
 122                 if(test != null) {
 123                     test.disposeUI();
 124                 }
 125             } catch (Exception ex) {
 126                 throw new RuntimeException("Exception while disposing UI");
 127             }

Regards
Prasanta

--

Best regards, Sergey.

--
Best regards, Sergey.

Re: <Swing Dev> [10] JDK-8004029: [macosx] The long Tab titles are not clipped with dots at the end.

Shashidhara H V

Hi Prasanta, Please find the updated Webrev @ http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sveerabhadra/8004029/webrev.05/

Thanks and regards,

Shashi