<Swing Dev> [9] JDK-8169897: [PIT] javax/swing/plaf/basic/BasicGraphicsUtils/8132119/bug8132119.java fails

<Swing Dev> [9] JDK-8169897: [PIT] javax/swing/plaf/basic/BasicGraphicsUtils/8132119/bug8132119.java fails

prasanta sadhukhan
Hi All,

Please review a testbug fix where the testcase is failing in linux
because it is not able to find "Arial" font and tries to use the font
found in 0th index of getAvailableFontFamilyNames()
which is "Abyssinica SIL".

webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psadhukhan/8169897/webrev.00/

Modified the testcode to use "Serif" which is present in all platforms.
Tested in windows,linux,mac.

Regards
Prasanta

Re: <Swing Dev> [9] JDK-8169897: [PIT] javax/swing/plaf/basic/BasicGraphicsUtils/8132119/bug8132119.java fails

Phil Race
I am not sure why the test went to the trouble of looking for Arial.
If there was a good reason (Alexander ??) an alternative is to initialise
String fontName = "Serif".

although swapping out Arial for Serif is a very odd choice.
Arial is a Sans Serif font and Serif fonts are not usually used in UIs.

So "SansSerif" would be better
-phil.

On 3/14/17, 4:46 AM, Prasanta Sadhukhan wrote:
Hi All,

Please review a testbug fix where the testcase is failing in linux because it is not able to find "Arial" font and tries to use the font found in 0th index of getAvailableFontFamilyNames()
which is "Abyssinica SIL".

webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psadhukhan/8169897/webrev.00/

Modified the testcode to use "Serif" which is present in all platforms. Tested in windows,linux,mac.

Regards
Prasanta

Re: <Swing Dev> [9] JDK-8169897: [PIT] javax/swing/plaf/basic/BasicGraphicsUtils/8132119/bug8132119.java fails

Alexandr Scherbatiy
On 3/14/2017 3:37 PM, Philip Race wrote:
> I am not sure why the test went to the trouble of looking for Arial.
> If there was a good reason (Alexander ??) an alternative is to initialise
   The test tries to calculate number of intersection with letter O and
its underline. It is sensitive to the position of the letter.

   Thanks,
   Alexandr.

On 3/14/2017 6:48 PM, Alexandr Scherbatiy wrote:
> On 3/14/2017 3:37 PM, Philip Race wrote:
>> I am not sure why the test went to the trouble of looking for Arial.
>> If there was a good reason (Alexander ??) an alternative is to
>> initialise
>   The test tries to calculate number of intersection with letter O and
> its underline. It is sensitive to the position of the letter.

If I use "SansSerif", it passes in windows,linux but
fails in mac and screenshot of the letter O in mac is different compared
to windows,linux [1]
For Serif, the screenshot are same in all platforms.

Alex, can you tell me how do you arrive at this hardcoded intersection
number?
if (backgroundChangesCount != intersections * 2) {
             throw new RuntimeException("String is not properly drawn!");
         }

[1] screenshot windows:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psadhukhan/8169897/8132119-windows.png
       linux:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psadhukhan/8169897/8132119-ubuntu.png
       mac: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psadhukhan/8169897/8132119-mac.png

Regards
Prasanta

>   Thanks,
>   Alexandr.
>> String fontName = "Serif".
>>
>> although swapping out Arial for Serif is a very odd choice.
>> Arial is a Sans Serif font and Serif fonts are not usually used in UIs.
>>
>> So "SansSerif" would be better
>> -phil.
>>
>> On 3/14/17, 4:46 AM, Prasanta Sadhukhan wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Please review a testbug fix where the testcase is failing in linux
>>> because it is not able to find "Arial" font and tries to use the
>>> font found in 0th index of getAvailableFontFamilyNames()
>>> which is "Abyssinica SIL".

>>> webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psadhukhan/8169897/webrev.00/
>>>
>>> Modified the testcode to use "Serif" which is present in all
>>> platforms. Tested in windows,linux,mac.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Prasanta

Re: <Swing Dev> [9] JDK-8169897: [PIT] javax/swing/plaf/basic/BasicGraphicsUtils/8132119/bug8132119.java fails

Phil Race
This test sounds flaky and changing the font is clearly the wrong fix.

-phil.

On 3/14/17, 11:21 PM, Prasanta Sadhukhan wrote:

> On 3/14/2017 6:48 PM, Alexandr Scherbatiy wrote:
>> On 3/14/2017 3:37 PM, Philip Race wrote:
>>> I am not sure why the test went to the trouble of looking for Arial.
>>> If there was a good reason (Alexander ??) an alternative is to
>>> initialise
>>   The test tries to calculate number of intersection with letter O
>> and its underline. It is sensitive to the position of the letter.
>>
> If I use "SansSerif", it passes in windows,linux but
> fails in mac and screenshot of the letter O in mac is different
> compared to windows,linux [1]
> For Serif, the screenshot are same in all platforms.
>
> Alex, can you tell me how do you arrive at this hardcoded intersection
> number?
> if (backgroundChangesCount != intersections * 2) {
>             throw new RuntimeException("String is not properly drawn!");
>         }
>
> [1] screenshot windows:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psadhukhan/8169897/8132119-windows.png
>       linux:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psadhukhan/8169897/8132119-ubuntu.png
>       mac: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psadhukhan/8169897/8132119-mac.png
>
> Regards
> Prasanta
>>   Thanks,
>>   Alexandr.
>>> String fontName = "Serif".
>>>
>>> although swapping out Arial for Serif is a very odd choice.
>>> Arial is a Sans Serif font and Serif fonts are not usually used in UIs.
>>>
>>> So "SansSerif" would be better
>>> -phil.

Re: <Swing Dev> [9] JDK-8169897: [PIT] javax/swing/plaf/basic/BasicGraphicsUtils/8132119/bug8132119.java fails

prasanta sadhukhan
I have updated the fix to calculate "xx" (the x coordinate along which background changes willbe calculated from top to bottom of bufferedimage) to point to centre of "O"
so that background change can clearly demarcate between O and underline. I also have increased the font size a bit to make sure the demarcation between O and underline is more prominent
for this automated test to calculate background changes properly.
Tested in windows, linux, mac.
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psadhukhan/8169897/webrev.01/

Regards
Prasanta