<Swing Dev> Input requested: add removeAllElements default method to MutableComboBoxModel

<Swing Dev> Input requested: add removeAllElements default method to MutableComboBoxModel

-Robin-
Hello,

I would like to add a default method to the MutableComboBoxModel interface:

default void removeAllElements(){ ...}

The reason to do this is that JComboBox has a removeAllItems() method which works very well when the model of the combo box is a DefaultComboBoxModel.

However, when you use a plain MutableComboBoxModel the elements are removed one by one and corresponding events are fired. Depending on the size of the model, this can have a huge performance impact.

The implementation of the default model would have the same behavior as what is currently done in JComboBox#removeAllItems (removing them one by one).

Before I start working on this, I wanted to check whether:

a) I can just log an issue in the issue tracker and start working on this, or whether API changes have some other kind of process I need to follow

b) anybody on this mailing list has an objection against this proposal

Thanks,

Robin

Re: <Swing Dev> Input requested: add removeAllElements default method to MutableComboBoxModel

Sergey Bylokhov
Hi, Robin.

> Before I start working on this, I wanted to check whether:
>
> a) I can just log an issue in the issue tracker and start working on this, or whether API changes have some other kind of process I need to follow

Yes, you can create a new CR, make a fix and send it to review.
When a technical review will be complete we will need to get a ccc approval for a new API. I guess I am (or someone else) can sponsor this, because this process still internal (but will be open soon).

> b) anybody on this mailing list has an objection against this proposal
>

> Thanks,
>
> Robin

Re: <Swing Dev> Input requested: add removeAllElements default method to MutableComboBoxModel

Philip Race
Since this proposal is (must be) destined for JDK10, and the intention
is that the new
"open" process be used for all 10 proposals, then this must wait until
that new
process is rolled out. The hope is that it will be soon-ish (a few weeks).
See
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/csr-discuss/2017-April/000000.html

-phil.

On 4/6/17, 9:21 AM, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:

> Hi, Robin.
>> Before I start working on this, I wanted to check whether:
>>
>> a) I can just log an issue in the issue tracker and start working on this, or whether API changes have some other kind of process I need to follow
> Yes, you can create a new CR, make a fix and send it to review.
> When a technical review will be complete we will need to get a ccc approval for a new API. I guess I am (or someone else) can sponsor this, because this process still internal (but will be open soon).
>
>> b) anybody on this mailing list has an objection against this proposal
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Robin

Re: <Swing Dev> Input requested: add removeAllElements default method to MutableComboBoxModel

-Robin-
Thanks for the info Phil.

Guess I will wait a bit longer before starting on it.

Robin